- -His eternal power
- -His wisdom
The Bible nowhere sets out to prove God’s existance.
It does say that eternal life comes from knowing God John 17:3
What must we believe before we can come to God? Hebrews 11:6
The knowledge of God is available to be seen in creation Romans 1:18 –
What are the limits to what we can know about God? Deuteronomy 29:29 Ecclesiastes 11:5
Evidences for God’s existance
1. The world exists
For every effect there is a cause. Non-existance doesn’t seem to require a cause.
2. The world seems to have been designed
Our world shows order, design and balance in its construction.
3. People are unique, complex beings with minds and personalities
We even have the ability to think about our thought processes
4. People value certain things.
-life, beauty, relationships, courage, truth, knowledge. Often these work against the things our meaner greedier selves want.
5. People have a sense of right and wrong
Common core of ideas of right and wrong regardless of race or culture
- theft, murder, rape, envy, disrespect for elders, violence.. are bad
- Peace, love, loyalty, courtesy are praised
6. People seem aware of a greater reality.
Every society has some form of religion. Where did this awareness come from?
7. Peoples lives and experiences indicate there is a God.
Abolition of slavery, Red Cross, Flying Doctor, Humane society started by people with Christian motivation Pitcairn story
8. People are capable of thinking of God
Does a thing have to be scientific to be real?
God has chosen to reveal Himself to us as :
- King / Judge
- Father / mother Matthew 7:9-11 Isaiah 49:15; 66:13
- Triune Matthew 28:19, 2 Corinthians 13:14
God the Father is God Ephesians 6:23
Jesus is God
- Isaiah 44:24 God made ALL THINGS … ALONE … BY HIMSELF
- Colossians 1:16 All things were created BY JESUS and FOR JESUS
- Isaiah 43:10, 45:21 NO god before or after the LORD (YHWH)
- John 1:1 Jesus is called God
- Isaiah 43:11 There is NO Saviour besides the LORD Joel 2:32
- Acts 4:12 NO name besides Jesus brings salvation
If Jesus is not God, then these verses contradict each other, the book is unreliable, and we might as well quit.
The Holy Spirit is God
- Acts 5:3, 4 Ananias lied to the Holy Spirit = lied to God
- Who spoke? Hebrews 10:15 The Holy Spirit says …
- Jeremiah 31:33 The LORD says …
God the Father
Who is Jesus
Our Friend the Holy Spirit
Back to Bible Study Index